Reference Material Discussion Application Architecture Strategies

Earthednet-wp prothero at earthednet.org
Sat Apr 19 18:01:13 EDT 2014

Michael,
Thank you for asking this question. There is certainly a need for this in the community. I am also new to livecode and am converting a rather large app from Director. I am building a cross platform app, and perhaps a mobile version later. Currently I am putting most of my code in the stack scripts of substacks, organized roughly by broad functionality. I started with external stacks that I loaded at runtime, but found it much easier to do script searches if they were substacks. All code is in stack scripts. If I need these pieces for other projects, I can always separate them. That's as far as I've gotten so far. I can imagine getting a large collection of substacks by the time the project is completed. So far all of my substack handlers are able to seamlessly call stack handlers in other substacks, which is nice. I wonder if there are consequences to this approach.

One of the big challenges is keeping track of all of the handlers and whether their location in the hierarchy requires special treatment (like a dispatch command). With all of my handlers in stack scripts, I don't have to do this.

I'd be very interested in hearing how others organize their projects.
 Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org