SQLite, Unicode & LC

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 21:58:13 EDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:

I am however, whether I like it or not, having to get into the weird world
> of Unicode (I think).  Some of the artist names and CD names in my iTunes
> library have accented characters which end up in the tab delimited file as
> <not what the original character was>. The corrupted characters then end up
> in my database.
>
> I don't have any control over how iTunes exports the data so is it possible
> for me to ensure that what ends up in my sqlite database is correct?  The
> default text encoding for sqlite db's is UTF-8 but it can be changed to
> UTF-16, UTF-16le, or UTF-16be.

I've just done a quick test and inserted my problem name into iTunes
(appended it to the end of an album name) and I can Export the Playlist and
it comes back fine. Are you seeing EVERY ascented character corrupted, or
are some correct?

As a workaround, with the appropriate playlist selected, select a track,
then Select All, Copy and Paste into your favourite Text Editor. Does that
come out correctly?