Formatted text in a field.

James Hale james at thehales.id.au
Fri Apr 4 21:23:35 EDT 2014

Hi Mike,

> I am trying to use the pageranges technique but the ranges I am getting are larger than what is visibly  being displayed within my field.   The character 722 is actually not visible.

Every word or line break character is "invisible" in a field. So I suspect that char 722 is either a word or line break. It makes sense to have this as the last character or the range rather than the first, yes?

> What properties are being used in the pageranges calculation to determine the size of a page?   It does not appear to be the field height.    The pageHeights seem to be working as I expected.

You should speak to Jan (the person who introduced this property) to get these details or dive in to the source code yourself if you really need to know. I am at a loss though to understand why you would. Visually are you not getting what you expect? In moving from one page range to the next is content being missed?

> Height: 502
> FormattedHeight: 14309
> PageRanges:
> 1,722
> 723,1823
> 1824,3513

Re your first question, the page ranges given account for ALL the characters making up your field content. This is what I would expect else I would need to do extra calculations to say locate a selection from the "page" and relate it back to the source content.

And yes, the calculations behind the properties do seem to take margins into account. Cool, huh?

Jaesm