7.0 dp 1 Dictionary

Fraser Gordon fraser.gordon at runrev.com
Wed Apr 2 07:41:02 EDT 2014

On 2 Apr 2014, at 12:30, Fraser Gordon <fraser.gordon at runrev.com> wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2014, at 12:24, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have just been reading Fraser's seminal article here:
>>
>> http://livecode.com/blog/2014/04/02/examining-unicode-part-ii-digesting-text/
>>
>> and got all excited about "codepointProperty", but did not quite understand "Diacritic",
>>

> Diacritics are the technical term for the accents and other bits that get attached to letters. In terms of the codepointProperty function, the "Diacritic" property returns true for diacritical characters and false otherwise.

Just noticed your post on the blog entry itself so sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking about diacritics - the short answer is that the engine looks up the information in the Unicode Character Database (which libICU provides a nice interface to). It is this that has caused the expansion in the size of the standalones in the DP (temporarily, we hope).

Regards,
Fraser