LC and iOS 7 icons

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Sep 16 17:45:15 EDT 2013

On 9/16/13 3:49 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Monte-
>
> Monday, September 16, 2013, 1:10:16 PM, you wrote:
>
>>> In the light of this I wonder about the wisdom of including
>>> 6.5.0 dp1 in the upgrade offers.
>
>> Why?
>
> Because when something appears as an update notice folks start
> thinking it's an actual upgrade and not a caveat-developer alpha build
> replete with a cautionary note that only appears in the list notice
> and not in the update mechanism.

Exactly. My clients don't read anything, they just accept upgrades. I
had to warn them not to. In its current state, 6.5 is not appropriate
for them to use, and they aren't knowledgeable enough to know whether
the problems they'll have are my fault or the engine. They hardly know
the difference.

So I agree that very early releases shouldn't go out to everyone
indiscriminately. Rather than implement some sort of toggle switch, it
might be easier to just announce them on the lists and forums, where
people will have read the warnings before deciding what to do. Those who
aren't involved in the community won't know that there may be problems,
and likely aren't the best testers anyway.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com