Trying a custom handler for several math fields

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Sep 14 15:30:43 EDT 2013

On 9/14/13 1:34 PM, Vaughn Clement wrote:
> Hi J. Gay
>
> I see your point about possible damage. But consider the current effort to
> autosize screens to manage the Android device apps. Would this cause the
> same problems as your describing for legacy apps?

No, because the old methods will still work. And also because there is
no good way right now to do resizing based on screen resolution, so
autosizing is a new feature we're all eagerly waiting for. Pete's
suggestion of a property to control money formatting, or an addition to
the current numberformat function, is good (I like the second one
better.) Either of those would be a new feature and wouldn't break older
scripts.

> I am starting to see a
> trend in the conversation in the How To email that is out to defend LC to
> protect the standards of usage. I am not saying this is good or bad, but I
> wonder if this will impede the future growth of what was once a very simple
> product named HypeCard?

I think it's more that we know how the engine works and why it works
that way, and what would break if it were changed. The stack you
received shows what can be done with the primitive elements that
LiveCode offers -- that's "primitive" in the sense of "basic", not
"undeveloped." We have some terrific building blocks and we can make
almost anything out of them.

By the way, the mailing list doesn't allow attachments, so you probably
received that stack in private mail. It sounds like a good candidate for
the User Samples area if it isn't in there already, maybe the author
will consider uploading it there.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com