Trying a custom handler for several math fields

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Thu Sep 12 23:42:58 EDT 2013

Vaughn.

I keep hearing a certain tone in all your correspondence, that LC is flawed in much of its implementation, its documentation and its execution. It ain't so. It is, rather, a modern miracle of software, and transcends the programming paradigm common to virtually all other similar packages. Much of your frustration derives from simple newness.

All of your issues are well within the capabilities of LiveCode, and, forgive me, at a novice/intermediate level.

For example, as Stephen mentioned, strip out formatting characters before you do the math. No program ca directly perform calculations on a string such as "$45". Internally, the dollar sign (or comma) is stripped and then reapplied. In LC, this must be managed by you. The good news is that this process is easy and fun.

Your query about card level functionality addresses what Jacque alluded to, that the message hierarchy is a fundamental, foundational cornerstone of the structure of the program. It just means to me that you are  still feeling your way forward. This is all to the good..

So.

I am gratified that you are doggedly and stubbornly moving forward, in spite of your frustration. You will quite soon get it. My wager stands.

Craig Newman