lcVCS - Getting started

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Sep 12 16:59:13 EDT 2013

On 13/09/2013, at 12:25 AM, Andrew Kluthe <andrew at ctech.me> wrote:

> I was going to contact Monte off list but I thought the info might be
> useful to others.
>
> I wanted to give your lcVCS a try on a couple of stacks to see how it does.
> When I go to the github page I download the repo but I think the repo
> itself is just the lcVCS code being stored by lcVCS.
>
> Is there anywhere I can get my hands on the plugin and maybe a little info
> on how to get started beyond the readme on the github page?

Previously I had the lcVCS stackFiles in the repo as a way to deliver them but they have been removed now that I have a project file based system that builds them directly into your plugins folder. It's a bit of a chicken and an egg thing though because you need the stackFiles first but from then on you can update via the repo.

I emailed them to Rolf the other day and I should put them up on mergExt but I've just discovered a fairly big issue for using it on Windows that I need to do some significant changes to resolve. After the changes the exports wouldn't be compatible so I'm hesitant to get too many people using it right now. The problem is windows can't handle paths longer than 260 chars and deeply nested groups can create really long paths in lcVCS because there's heaps of nested folders named with UUIDs. It's annoying because it's starting to get pretty slick and possibly turning into an open source project delivery system using a GitHub search feature.

So the question is whether I should ignore the issue on Windows for now and share what I have done openly with some docs or fix it first.

Cheers

--
Monte Goulding

mergExt - There's an external for that!