Field calculations

Vaughn Clement vclement at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 13:13:38 EDT 2013

Hi Richard

Actually if you take any Opp language or database development language the
complexity is 10 times that of LiveCode. and the Help system is so good it
covers just about any variation you might encounter. This is an example of
what I mean; take formatting a numeric field this should be a very simple
description. Yet the format command lacks any clear options and notation as
to variations in the LC dictionary. Ms. Gay's link had a description and
examples of script usage for math calculation that was neither in the
dictionary or in the LiveCode University program I paid $50.00 for to help
me learn LC. If LiveCode is to be a success and be a player in the IDE
product market in the future, they need to consolidate the training is such
a way as the new user's can locate answers in a timely manner. Also they
should not be charging for what is by my review basic product information
that should be available to the user community.

Another issue, the debugger explanation of an error is not adequate for
learning LC. It has a HINT why not a reference to help where the user can
get a better description of the actual error correction options. This is
basic to a product support for users to gain knowledge. "If your not a part
of the solution, then you're a part of the problem." This is the the basis
of instructional development where a complete analysis of the users
requirements are used to define the needed instruction. The organization of
the materials and testing of those materials will determine the student
outcome. Right now I would give LiveCode a grade of "F" for failure to meet
the minimum requirements of the student population.

As trainers yourself you must recognize this in the fragmented approach
being used to present instructional materials from LiveCode.

Thank you

Vaughn Clement

Apps by Vaughn Clement (Support)
*http://www.appsbyvaughnclement.com/tools/home-page/*
Skype: vaughn.clement
https://secure.join.me/appsbyvclement
FaceTime: vclement at gmail.com
LogMeIn also avaialble
Call on "ooVoo" at address:  vaughnclement or 9282549062
Ph. 928-254-9062
Cloud Hosting Registration Web Site:
https://my.oditech.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=41