[OT] Raspberry Pi vs x86 embedded motherboard PART 2

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 5 11:26:08 EDT 2013

William Waldman wrote:
> We need to recognize that these new devices are an opportunity for
> LiveCode - if we want to take advantage of the buzz.

Well said, Bill.

While there's no doubt a certain percentage of Raspberry Pi users who
become disappointed once they understand that it's not a complete system
by itself and requires a certain amount of specialized knowledge to set
up and use, there's no denying the global impact of the buzz it's generated.

For many of those in a position to fully realize the potential of the
Pi, LiveCode is a very good fit, arguably better for EDU use cases than
many of the languages currently promoted for use on it.

To realize your vision, however, may require some assistance from the
community to bring the Linux ARM build of the LiveCode engine up to par.

The most recent build that I'm aware of is linked to toward the bottom
of this blog entry from RunRev:

   LiveCode on Raspberry Pi
   <http://livecode.com/blog/2013/02/20/livecode-on-raspberry-pi/>

As noted there:

     Now, this is still very much a proof-of-concept and a fair
     bit more work would need to be done to bring it up to the
     level of the other (Desktop!) platforms we support but it’s
     a good indication of what can be achieved given someone
     with an idea and some time…

     … And, of course, access to the source to the engine!

I'm not in a position to help move that along myself, but I hope some of
the Maker and Pi fans here will be.

Buzz comes in cycles, and if LiveCode's Linux ARM build can be brought
up to par soon, it can surf the crest of this current wave of Raspberry
Pi interest.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World