spitting nails at the IDE

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 12:07:41 EDT 2013

On 09/01/2013 05:49 PM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM, J. Landman Gay
> <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>> have never seen the message box wander. Since you didn't get a reply when
>> you posted it, I suspect no one else has either. To me, it sounds like a
>> scripting issue. Maybe you have a script that sets the location of a stack
>> or some other object, but it isn't specifying the correct target.
> And it occurs to me a few days later: opening the message box entirely
> off the screen on startup should be considered an error and bug in all
> cases.  And the same for the dictionary.
>
> Common situation:  using livecode with an external screen on a laptop,
> and moving the dictionary to that screen.  If the laptop is used
> without the screen, the old location is off screen.
>
> There is some, but incomplete, storage of the location of IDE windows.
>   I have yet to have one open entirely in my secondary screen on a
> reopen, but opening entirely offscreen doesn't seem to bother it.

Certainly the thing with secondary and or mirror screens has to be
sorted out.

If one has 2 or 3 displays attached to one's machine and 1 or more of
them is them disconnected
(or goes "phut") all stacks, palettes and other 'things" of Livecode's
IDE should be visible on the
monitor that is still connected.

I had a similar sort of problem just the other day when I moved my
second machine up to my villa in the mountains and connected to to a
very old cathode ray tube job that has a maximum display of 1024 x 768,
having previously had it connected to a 1920 x 1080 display; my
"revTools" stack was nowhere to be seen!

I had to open up the message box (which, luckily, appeared somewhere
reasonably sensible: I could see the thing) and do a "move stack
"revTools" to 100,100: silly and should be unnecessary. Had the message
box been off screen things would have been even more tedious.

Richmond.