semi-OT: Android device emulator

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Wed Oct 30 12:57:50 EDT 2013

I’m hoping someone here can help me out a bit even though this technically isn’t a LiveCode issue. First off, let me tell Colin Holgate how much of a help your book has been. Even though some of the info needs to be updated for the latest Android SDK (I’m guessing you’re already in the process of doing this; or maybe you already have), the information was invaluable when it comes to setting up the dev environment. So thank you.

I’m exploring doing some possible Android development, but I’ve already hit a brick wall. I can’t even get an AVD set up to test with. I need to use the emulator for now as I have no physical device (yet). I’ve tried creating various AVDs, all with no success. When I try to start one, the emulator launches but nothing seems to be happening. In fact, Activity Monitor tells me it’s not responding. For my latest attempt, I created a new AVD based off the Nexus 7 template. I accepted all default values, except for specifying Android version 4.3 and the ARM processor. I’m getting the same results. It just doesn’t seem to launch successfully.

Is it possible it just takes a *very* long time to launch? I’ve been sitting here for a good 15 or 20 minutes now watching my colored beach ball spin. Is there a trick to getting this to work? Like I said, I haven’t even attempted launching an app yet. I need to get the emulator working first. Anyone?

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield