Web Site for my Students

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 29 19:50:55 EDT 2013

Hello Robert,

I’m just a beginner when it comes to creating web sites where people can log into user-created accounts, but I was under the impression that most sites that have logins use cookies to allow site browsing according to user characteristics, preferences, or page states. Is there an alternative to cookies? Mine are strictly for authentication. I have no problem placing a notification on the site stating that cookies are used, although I too do not know whether this is a requirement in Canada.

As for the confidentiality of student IDs at my institution, I would say they are, although I still occasionally find professors leaving a stack of graded student essays outside their door, old-school style. But the confidentiality of student IDs need not be a problem on my website because I don’t need to save them in a cookie. I can save a unique and randomly generate string that is associated with the student ID after login authentication.

Gregory