Vanishing Unicode

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 13:57:00 EDT 2013

On 10/29/2013 07:40 PM, Tereza Snyder wrote:
> Having taken a long mental vacation from coding,

That sounds very, very healthy indeed.

>   I find that I’ve forgotten almost everything I knew, but this has got to be more than just a mental lapse:
>
> I made a stack that uses a unicode icon font. It worked well. I made a standalone, included the font, and used revfontload to load it. It worked well. I emailed it to my client. It worked well. I reopened that stack today and all I see are little "mystery char" glyphs everywhere, and nothing I do, including updating from LC 5.5.4 to 6.1.2 changes it.
>
> Can anyone help me before I lose my mind altogether?

> --
> Tereza Snyder
> Califex Software, Inc.

Probably the revFontLoad is the problem; I have never liked it, and ask
my end-users to put my
home-grown font into their font folder.

If you are using your standalone on any versions of Windows post XP
there are a serious number of
problems (err, sorry, the buzz word is "issues") relating to Unicode
fonts there.

If you want you can send me the font and the stack off-list and I will:

1. Open your font and see if your icons are stored in the Personal
Private Use Area of the First Unicode Plane
or not; certainly if they are things should be OK, but if they are in
standard language specific areas Windows  will probably play merry hell
with them.

Richmond.