"Introducing New LiveCode Licenses"

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 20:01:57 EDT 2013

>> I don't see why a book for beginners wouldn't be for commercial programmers. A commercial programmer needs to start somewhere too.

This is true - but a commercial programmer doesn't usually start their programming career thinking "I'm going to create an app to sell". Typically people learn to code first, then figure out how to earn money doing it. Developers who learned to code so they could create a commercial app are very much the exception, not the rule. You don't usually go through the "real beginner" stage with commercial intent - I assume this includes learning about things like conditionals and loops. So all I'm saying is that a programmer new to LiveCode but not new to programming is likely to be put off by "for the Real Beginner" because it implies re-hashing a bunch of stuff they already know to learn the syntax and get to the interesting and unique features of the language rather than just jumping right to those things.

I mentioned the VisionMobile figures because yours weren't that far off, although I also agree with Monte that your survey design and promotion are very likely to suffer from "sampling bias" (to use the technical term). Even the VisionMobile survey inevitably suffers from some sampling bias but the questions are carefully designed and the sources of responses monitored so that it can be corrected for in various ways. It's extremely difficult to get reliable stats from non-mandatory surveys.

Mark