"Introducing New LiveCode Licenses"

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 16:28:47 EDT 2013

On 10/28/2013 10:00 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
> Hi Richmond,
>
> I kind of agree that Heather seems to suggest that the $20 license and
> the open source license are similar, but she doesn't actually say so.
> She only says that product A was replaced with product B.
>
> I do think, though, that RunRev needs to bring back the option of
> licensing single platforms or another way to acquire a low-budget
> license, such as PayG. RunRev seems to think that only companies need
> licenses, but hobby developers have a need for (single-platform)
> licenses too and they don't have a big budget.

This has been a continuing problem with RunRev. They have repeatedly
failed to see that a single platform
licence or a pay-as-you go system will bring them revenue. I fought with
them and we ended up with revMedia which went from a cheapo to a free to
a quickly evaporated status.

Whole the Open Source version of Livecode is marvellous (and I was one
of the first to plonk my pennies on the table for that one) it has not
plugged the gap where educators on small-scale budgets hang out, nor
people like a friend of my Dad who is working on a bit of software for
pensioners to learning English Church bell ringing routines which he
intends to sell for small sums which he will then contribute to a bell
fund at his local church.

Now I have all sorts of small-scale plans up my sleeve which may or may
not bring me in some money; but I am not about to stick my neck out for
a whacking great sum on the off-chance that something will 'take' in a
serious way.

I am sure I am not alone in this respect.

While right now I am releasing a version of my Devawriter Pro that is
fully functional it does sport a Thorsten Lemke style time related block
screen at start up to try to persuade the odd chap here and there to lob
me the odd spondulic; with the open source version nobody would do that
as all they would have to do is crack open the code and do a bit of
twiddling.

I currently continue to develop with LC 4.5 as my "revenue stream" is a
trickle at best. No were I able to, say, 'rent' an up-to-date version of
LC for a week at a decent rate (say $100) I ight risk that; then, if the
product were to suddenly leap from Zero-to-Hero with any features I
introduced from a new version of LC (in may case none spring immediately
to  mind right now) I might reinvest my returns on some sort of more
long-term or permanent licence.

Until RunRev can produce a version that stops Windows Vista and later
from playing font substitution games
with Unicode fonts they won't get a penny more from me I'm afraid to
say. This is the feature that will "grab Richmond by the tail and hold
on fast."

> I have an ongoing survey at http://qery.us/40u and the results very
> clearly show that a vast majority of RunRev users who are willing to
> invest a little money consists of hobby programmers and not companies:
> 44% of the respondents are hobby programmers and only 14% use LiveCode
> as the main tool to make a living; 20% are software developer but
> don't use LC (as the main tool or at all), 11% didn't indicate whether
> they use LC and the remaining 11% are teachers and students.
>
> RunRev is at risk of losing customers because hobby programmers want
> to be able to release a commercial app once in a while and there are
> less expensive alternative options for this.

I don't think RunRev have ever got that far away from the MetaCard model
(the thing cost buckets), and
I am sure its price, apart from anything else, is what finally finished
commercial MetaCard off.