Struggling with message sequence when leaving fields

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Oct 20 16:31:28 EDT 2013

On 10/19/13 8:24 PM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:
>
>> Key events happen before field events (they'd have to, when you think
>> about it.) So right, tabkey would occur before closefield.
>>

> OK, that makes sense . . . but how does the transfer happen when tabKey
> exits?
>
> Is the openField put into the queue, or does it happen directly before the
> the things from the queue?

I'm not sure what you mean. The engine issues messages in a predefined
order. If a handler catches a message, it executes before the next
message is received. It's all very linear.

>> You can always see the order for yourself by opening the Message Watcher
>> from the Development menu and watching what happens as you use your stack.
>> You might want to suppress all the IDE and mouse messages to prevent the
>> list from filling up with stuff you don't care about.
>>

> But how can I slow it down enough to see?  these are going to happen in
> under a millisecond?

You didn't try it, right? :)

There's a list you can examine after the fact to see what happened and
in which order. The list includes nested calls to other handlers. If you
step through your script, the message watcher will fill in sequentially
as you step. It will be obvious once you look.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com