[OT] Navigation systems

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Oct 17 19:40:49 EDT 2013

It uses crowd-sourced wifi location info. Both Apple and Google collect
(anonymous) info on wifi SSIDs and location (based either on GPS info
when available or other nearby wifi APs which have a known location).

I believe at one time they may also have licensed (or indeed may still
license) Skyhook's database.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/how-google-and-everyone-else-gets-wi-fi-location-data/1664

-- Alex.