[OT] Navigation systems

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Oct 17 19:32:25 EDT 2013

On 17/10/2013 16:57, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers eveyone.  I have some reading to do!

I'll suggest some more reading :-)

I don't agree with some of the earlier posts. Navigation problems (i.e.
'best' route from A to B) is not equivalent to the Travelling
Salesperson Problem - it's considerably easier than that. It's a graph
searching problem, and so there are solutions which run in polynomial
time (whereas NP-complete problems like TSP don't).  Best known approach
would be Djikstra's algorithm ( as used in in network routing, like OSPF
and IS-IS)

You could start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijkstra%27s_algorithm
though it's a pretty hard slog.

An easier intro is in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_state_routing
and go down to the section on "Calculating the shortest paths" (and
don't get distracted by all the rest of the stuff link-state routing has
to deal with;  in map/directions you don't need to dynamically detect
link failures and you don't need to spread info about them over the
network you are trying to use :-)

Or, jump to the answer  ...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/430142/what-algorithms-compute-directions-from-point-a-to-point-b-on-a-map

-- Alex.