Why Microsoft Word must Die

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 13:59:35 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Peter Alcibiades <
palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Scrivener seems interesting.  Lyx is my own answer to the large document
> writing issue.

LyX was the reason I switched from Mac to Unix in grad school . . .

I used it for my dissertation.   When I got stranded for a couple of days
with a blown transmission, a laptop, an out of date electronic copy, and
the latest handwritten comments from my advisers, I made a copy, edited
that,  used diff on the two files, and then patch to reapply it to the
latest copy of my dissertation . . .

And when it came time for the adjustments after the dissertation nazis in
the Graduate COllege were done with it, it took under 10 minutes--including
starting to make some corrections, calling them, getting them to
acknowledge they had it backwards, and undoing . . .   Typical for ms word
was a full week or more.
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462