OT: Time Machine Alternatives?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Oct 16 17:33:44 EDT 2013

On 10/16/13 3:22 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> I've been using Time Machine to make backups, and it seems to do that job
> well, but the backup disk ends up with cross-linked files pretty rapidly and
> I end up reformatting the backup disk and starting from scratch frequently.
> This seems to me to be missing the point of having historical backups.
>
> So I'm throwing this open to see what others are using for backups on OSX. I
> assume there's something better than Time Machine out there and I'm just not
> aware of it. Thanks in advance.
>
> (Note: I should probably disallow Jacque from responding in the future...)

Can I respond from the past? In the past I have used Time Machine. I
will be using it in the future too, but I won't mention that.

I don't know what cross-linked files are, so I'm not sure why it's an
issue, but I've done restores more than once from Time Machine without
any problem. Before TM was around, I used SuperDuper. I still do
occasionally to back up my backup, or to clone a drive. I like it a lot.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com