Why Microsoft Word must Die

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Tue Oct 15 14:09:01 EDT 2013

Code folding is allowing you to collapse or expand structures within your
code.  GLX2 has that, now, sort of.
Typically you have a collapse reticle next to the beginning of the
structure, then a dashed line that extends to the "end"

Thus (in text, not graphically)

+ on mouseUp
|     answer "This is a handler that demonstrates folding" with "OK" or
"Cancel"
|     + if it is "OK" then
|      |      beep
|      |      answer "OK, back"
|      - else # not ok
|      |      exit mouseUp
|      - end if # it is "OK"
- end mouseUp

I can collapse the structures so I can see what's going on without the
extra noise.  It is very useful in long handlers.
Even better, if I can embed tag-like structures and collapse them, then I
can mark sections of code without a control structure, and collapse or
expand the whole thing.  That way I don't have to put something like an if
true end if around something to be able to collapse it.

#<figure out when not increasing the debt ceiling will actually cause real
harm not imaginary harm>
      #my code to do the math on tax receipts vs. outlays goes here
#</figure out when not increasing the debt ceiling will actually cause real
harm not imaginary harm>

As for macros, it's little things like being able to insert an
if-then-else-end if structure that auto-documents the conditions so that I
don't have to.  Macros can have engine-related functions in them, so dates,
times, handler names, copyrights, etc. can be auto-embedded in the header
of any handler.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 10/15/2013 03:39 PM, Mike Kerner wrote:
>
>> or support code folding, or macros, or..........
>>

> I obviously have "missed" an awful lot:
>
> 1. What is 'support code folding?
>
> 2. As I use a Nostromo 52 Gamepad attached to my VMware Mac for coding;
> where the keys on the Gamepad
> effectively deliver repetitive sequence rather like macros that aspect
> doesn't fuss me.
>
> Richmond.
>
> --
   and did a little diving.