Help with Arrays

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Mon Oct 14 17:16:09 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,

Here is a clunky and simplistic way that works:

on mouseUp
     -- get the number of occurrences for each name
     put myList() into tList
     repeat for each line tLine in tList
         add 1 to tCountsByName[tLine]
     end repeat

     -- reformat the 'counts' data
     combine tCountsByName with CR and "="
     sort lines of tCountsByName word 1 to -2 of each -- the minor sort
     sort lines of tCountsByName numeric descending by last word of each
-- the major sort
     replace "=" " (" in tCountsByName
     replace CR with ")" & CR in tCountsByName
     put ")" after tCountsByName

     -- you're done!
     answer tCountsByName
end mouseUp

function myList
     get "Bill,Mary,Bill,John,Jim,Jane,Bill,Jim,Jane"
     replace comma with CR in it
     return it
end myList

HTH -
Phil Davis

On 10/14/13 1:52 PM, Bill Vlahos wrote:
> I have a list of names many of which repeat and I want to get a count of how many times each name appears in the list and sort it.
>
> This seems like a perfect example of using an array but I'm struggling to figure it out.
>
> Sample list:
> 	Bill
> 	Mary
> 	Bill
> 	John
> 	Jim
> 	Jane
> 	Bill
> 	Jim
> 	Jane
>
> The popularity result should look like this:
> 	Bill (3)
> 	Jane (2)
> 	Jim (2)
> 	John (1)