Passive Shell Commands

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Tue Oct 8 22:57:42 EDT 2013

On 09/10/2013, at 1:45 PM, Ray Horsley wrote:

> First time using open process for me.  Fascinating!  Thanks Monte. Not quite sure on the write and read syntax.
>
> My original shell command which works fine is:
>   get shell(""&appPath&" "&srcPath&" "&trgPath&"")
> where the app is a command line utility which converts a PDF file to multiple JPEG's
>
> I can't get the app to show up in 'the openProcess' using the 'neither' option.  When I call 'open process appPath for update' it works fine, but then how would I send the open process a command to start the conversion?

Ah, I assumed you didn't need to read from the process. If you don't need to read or know when it's done then:
open process appPath&" "&srcPath&" "&trgPath for neither

If you need to know when it's done then something like this should do it (untested hacking in email client)

put appPath&" "&srcPath&" "&trgPath into tProcess
open process tProcess for read
send "ReadProcess tProcess" to me in 0 milliseconds

on ReadProcess pProcess
  local tOut
  repeat
     read from process pProcess in 5 milliseconds
     put it after tOut
     wait 20 milliseconds with messages
     if the result is "eof" then
        close process pProcess