A Text file format for LiveCode

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Oct 7 19:01:09 EDT 2013

On 08/10/2013, at 12:18 AM, David Bovill wrote:

> You can use folders. I structure things as follows - toplevel we have an
> array based representation of stacks, under which you can choose to export
> this to either XML, JSON or my preferred representation text and folder
> based.

You need to be careful with matching the directory structure to the stack hierarchy because deeply nested groups on windows will create very long paths which will bump up against path length limits on Windows. I recently had to flatten my directory structure considerably because of this issue. I don't understand what you mean by an array based representation of stacks... do you mean arrayEncode? If so being a binary file it would have the same issues stackFiles do in the first place in a version control system.

> These don;t get around the problems Monte points out - but an established
> practice of using handers to define a default state which is triggered on
> each save / export to vcs works though it is time consuming to create each
> handler - better is to avoid using those features in stacks.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Every object gets lcVCSExport dispatched to it with messages unlocked just prior to it's properties being exported.

> Monte - I thought there was some new stuff in the developer releases for
> creating IDs of the sort you advocate? Can you update us?

Use the uuid function to create them... but that does nothing to assign them to objects.

Cheers

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services