Fighting with audio player again

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Oct 7 15:41:58 EDT 2013


Sounds like some otherworldly behavior (we are getting close to
Halloween).  Ghosts in your machine?

Radical suggestion: To reset the player, maybe try completely deleting the
player object, and creating a new one, as opposed to just setting the
filename to empty -- the ultimate reset.  It sounds like you have *some*
success with playback, so if something is getting "stuck", maybe a new
player object will get beyond that.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design




On 10/7/13 12:28 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

>On 10/7/13 2:04 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>
>>> On 10/7/13 1:06 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>>
>>>> LiveCode uses a very old and long-since-deprecated set of APIs for
>>>> working with native media playback on Windows.  Until LC is updated to
>>>> use newer APIs, whether the native Win player app can play a file is
>>>>not
>>>> a reliable test of whether LC can also play it.
>>>
>>> I probably need to be more specific. LiveCode will play the remote mp3
>>> okay if it uses a "normal" URL -- that is, a standard URL like:
>>>
>>>   http://www.domain.com/file.mp3
>>>
>>> These URLs are on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and so they are coming from
>>> a distributed server system. I can't imagine why that would make any
>>> difference but it seems to. The URL is of the form:
>>>
>>>   http://abcdefghijklmn01.cloudfront.net/file.mp3
>>>
>>> It's the same file. The only difference is the distributed server URL.
>>> IE plays it, LiveCode won't.
>>
>> Downloading and streaming behavior very differently.  AFAIK LC can only
>> play streams via QT.
>
>Is "fast start" a streaming format?
>
>Here's a new twist. I made a new stack yesterday with nothing but a
>player and a button that sets the filename of the player to empty and
>then to the URL. It works, and playback is immediate. I repeat that lots
>of times successfully. Then suddenly it doesn't work, I get "can not
>open player". After that it doesn't work any more. I come back the next
>day, set the filename, it works.
>
>So I use the message box to set the filename of the player in my real
>mainstack to the same URL. It never works.
>
>One more thing. Yesterday I did the message box thing in the real
>mainstack and of course it failed, so I just left it alone and did
>something else for a while. A full hour later I'm startled out of my
>socks when it suddenly starts to play. A whole hour later, all by
>itself. I can pause, restart, set the currentTime, it all works. So I
>set the filename to empty via message box, then set it to the same URL
>again. Nothing. I wait an hour. Nothing.
>
>I'm losing hair.
>
>-- 
>Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
>HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>
>_______________________________________________
>use-livecode mailing list
>use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
>Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>subscription preferences:
>http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>






More information about the Use-livecode mailing list