Fighting with audio player again

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Oct 7 15:28:04 EDT 2013

On 10/7/13 2:04 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> On 10/7/13 1:06 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>>> LiveCode uses a very old and long-since-deprecated set of APIs for
>>> working with native media playback on Windows.  Until LC is updated to
>>> use newer APIs, whether the native Win player app can play a file is not
>>> a reliable test of whether LC can also play it.
>>
>> I probably need to be more specific. LiveCode will play the remote mp3
>> okay if it uses a "normal" URL -- that is, a standard URL like:
>>
>>   http://www.domain.com/file.mp3
>>
>> These URLs are on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and so they are coming from
>> a distributed server system. I can't imagine why that would make any
>> difference but it seems to. The URL is of the form:
>>
>>   http://abcdefghijklmn01.cloudfront.net/file.mp3
>>
>> It's the same file. The only difference is the distributed server URL.
>> IE plays it, LiveCode won't.
>
> Downloading and streaming behavior very differently.  AFAIK LC can only
> play streams via QT.

Is "fast start" a streaming format?

Here's a new twist. I made a new stack yesterday with nothing but a
player and a button that sets the filename of the player to empty and
then to the URL. It works, and playback is immediate. I repeat that lots
of times successfully. Then suddenly it doesn't work, I get "can not
open player". After that it doesn't work any more. I come back the next
day, set the filename, it works.

So I use the message box to set the filename of the player in my real
mainstack to the same URL. It never works.

One more thing. Yesterday I did the message box thing in the real
mainstack and of course it failed, so I just left it alone and did
something else for a while. A full hour later I'm startled out of my
socks when it suddenly starts to play. A whole hour later, all by
itself. I can pause, restart, set the currentTime, it all works. So I
set the filename to empty via message box, then set it to the same URL
again. Nothing. I wait an hour. Nothing.

I'm losing hair.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com