SocketTimeOut message

Dave Cragg dave.cragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 06:44:08 EDT 2013

On 4 Oct 2013, at 00:16, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> But from Phil's answer, it sounds like the timeout message is just informational, and libURL keeps trying to send until it goes through. So maybe you don't need a resend?

That's not my understanding. I think the transaction will stop if there is a timeout. (I could be wrong, but libUrl assumes this to be the case and cleans things up when a socketTimeout message is received) I think the timeout is measured as the time between any message sent to the remote host and a subsequent response. So a large download that takes longer than the timeout interval won't cause a timeout as long as the initial response (i.e. first chunk of data) occurred within the timeout interval. A common situation that would cause a timeout would be if some time-consuming processing was done on the server (e.g. a large database query) before any response was sent.

However, I've seen some strange behavior  where socket messages don't always appear to be sent consistently. (By 'strange' I probably mean I was too stupid to understand.)

Cheers
Dave