SocketTimeOut message

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Thu Oct 3 18:11:16 EDT 2013

On 10/3/13 2:40 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> I need to understand this better. The dictionary says the
> socketTimeoutInterval specifies how long to wait before sending back a
> timeout message. It sounds like the timeout doesn't affect the data
> transmission, it's only a warning, and the data will be sent
> eventually. Is that correct?

That's my experience in a LAN-based client/server system. The message
fires every time another (socketTimeoutInterval) msecs goes by, until
the transfer is complete or until the connection breaks.

> The dictionary also says the default interval is ten seconds, but I'm
> seeing timeouts in much less time than that. Maybe the dictionary is
> wrong?

Heeey, is that possible?  ;-)

> What's a good timeout interval for iffy network connections?

Trial and error will tell you the truth. I can only speculate. I think
in the aforementioned LAN-based system we use 20 seconds due to some
occasionally large datastream sizes. We set it that high to avoid
interrupting user activity with an information-only dialog.

--
Phil Davis