RELEASE LiveCode 6.5

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 17:17:21 EST 2013

On 30.11.2013 23:46, Roger Eller wrote:
> On a zip disk!?  Richmond, you must truly live on the island of misfit
> toys.  ;-D

Quite possibly :) Come to Bulgaria one day, breath in slowly, have a
good look around you,

chant "misfit toys" to yourself several times, and then . . .

But, I digress.

-----------------------------

When I lived and worked in the UAE I needed something to back up work I
was doing on my
Performa 5270CD  and my G3 Beige box, and the ONLY thing that was
available in the one Apple shop
in the country (in Dubai; a 2 hour drive from Al Ain) was a SCSI IOmega
zip drive.

I still have that zip drive and 20 zip disks with all the stuff I backed
up in Al Ain. I connected it via a SCSI PCI
card to my Linux box, and then transferred the file via a Flash drive to
my G3 iMac running Mac OS 9.

I also found a back up of about 2 years' worth of academic work my wife
thought she had lost 12 years ago; so a very good thing I hung onto the
thing and the disks.
----------------------------

I don't know why there seems to be so much flack about IOmega Zip; I
have worked with ZIP disks, and
used them to restore various "old but gold" Apple computers for
financially strapped pensioners with
absolutely no problems at all for about 15 years.

At one time, in the UAE, I used an IOmega JAZ drive and disks to cart
work back and forth between
home and work. The only unfunny thing was that I had to work with
Toolbook, which is not nearly as
good as Livecode.

Richmond.