RELEASE LiveCode 6.5

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 13:02:38 EST 2013

On 28.11.2013 13:12, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Just to chime in here and add to what Ben has said below. 6.5 wasn't a
> case of adding a few minor features. We didn't do what we usually do and
> "bolt-on" the resolution independence code to the existing architecture.
> Instead, we replaced the entire graphics architecture for all graphics on
> all platforms in the entire engine.
>
> It was a ton of effort and we got "just" one big feature this release -
> resolution independence. It might seem like a bitter pill to swallow for
> just that feature. Of course that isn't the point. We now have a modern
> graphics layer and we can do so much more with it over the next few
> versions, as Ben has outlined. We have so much scope now to expose
> additional graphics features, re-implement theming and so forth.
>
> There is simply no way to make a change so big without causing some issues
> somewhere.

Indeed, and that is why I understood the seemingly odd 6.1.3, and was
expecting the 6.5.0 process
to be far more drawn out, with 6.1.4 and so on while we were waiting.

I hope that between 6.5.0 and 7.0.0 there will be a much longer lag time
with
interim releases so that when we get "there" (7.0.0) we don't get all
upset again.

> We do have an automated test framework, but it too is new. We
> are adding tests to it every day to get better coverage. It will take time
> to get comprehensive coverage. And with a platform like LiveCode we simply
> can't predict and test every possible use even when that is done.
>
> Then there is the issue that, understandably, our customers are busy and
> don't always have time to test a release before it comes out. That's fine,
> it just means we will need to address your issues in 6.5.x. If you're
> still spotting little errors rendering and so forth, please report them
> and we'll get them ironed out fast.

Why does this come across as a funny way of
saying "our finished versions are really still Beta versions" ?

> I wish I could tell you that the 7.0 process will be smoother. However I
> think it only sensible to come out right now and say that it won't be.
>
> Rather than changing (just!) the graphics architecture, we've touched
> almost every single line of code in the entire engine on every platform.
> Again we're "only" getting one major feature with 7.0 - complete and
> transparent Unicode support on all platforms. Again though, this sets us
> up to deliver themes and open language hot on the heals of this. And once
> we get through all that, things will really speed up. All those stretch
> goals that are outstanding become rapid to implement on top. Right now it
> looks like we're making slow progress, because we have so many people
> working on big architecture stuff that brings only one or two features in
> the first release. However our capacity is so much greater that you'll see
> the feature set rounded out on top of this work far more rapidly than
> you've ever seen before from us.
>
> We're going to do everything we can to be responsive to feedback on 7.0,
> to test it internally and to stabilize it. And we will, absolutely,
> achieve a rock solid release of all the new tech. But it is going to take
> some time. There is no other way to do all of this. We'll communicate as
> clearly as we can and be responsive. At the end of the day though we're
> relying on your support and patience to get through the next few months of
> sweeping changes to the architecture. It will be worth it for everyone
> when its done.
>
> Thanks again to all for your patience and support.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can code