Does a Control Exist?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 14:55:28 EST 2013

On 24.11.2013 21:37, Ray wrote:
> Really? When I do this...
>
> on mouseUp
>    put "test 1" into fld "Cats"                -- this field does not
> exist
>    put "test 2" into fld "Dogs"               -- this field does exist
> end mouseUp
>
> the script editor window pops up on the first line alerting me with an
> error.  It never progresses to the second line.  I haven't tried this
> in a standalone but I'm pretty sure the script will stop all the same
> just as soon as it encounters the first line.

That WILL halt the script, hence the need to use

if exists(some control) then
    do something
end if

checks.

If you try to pour a bucket of water into a non-existent bath-tub you
will get wet feet, at which point
you will be so cheesed-off you will be unable to proceed with whatever
you had planned to do subsequently.

Richmond.