Feedback request: getProp/setProp and lockMessages

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Nov 23 10:34:03 EST 2013

There's a discussion in the Engine Contributors Section of the forum in
which a change has been proposed, and to make sure the benefits of the
change outweigh any potential issues with backward compatibility I've
been asked to run it past you folks here:

PROBLEM: LockMessages limits the usefulness of getProp and setProp
With built-in props, behavior changes occur when a property is set
regardless of the state of lockMessages. Setting the listBehavior of a
field, for example, will change that field's behavior whether
lockMessages is true or false.

Custom controls, however, often require custom properties, and unlike
built-in properties for native objects the change can be suppressed if
the user changes a property in a custom control while lockMessages is
true. In some cases this may cause unexpected appearances, and in the
worst case could conceivably result in data loss with some custom controls.

Also, once we have getProp and setProp for built-in properties, the same
brittleness becomes introduced for overloaded built-in properties as well.

Because custom controls can be adversely affected by lockMessages, sadly
I rarely use getProp and setProp, despite how good a fit they are for
such things in all other respects, opting instead for accessor handlers
to set those values and trigger those actions, requiring clumsier syntax
to use.

So to bring custom controls up to par with native controls in terms of
robustness, some solution needs to be invented so they can be reliable
and robust independent of whether the scripter needs to block system
messages.

SOLUTION: Make getProp and setProp immune to lockMessages
Mark Waddingham supports the proposed change with this reasoning:

The idea of lockMessages is to stop engine messages from being sent -
there's a certain mechanism in the engine which all engine originated
messages use and that will do nothing if lockMessages is true. The
getProp / setProp messages use the same mechanism but *technically* the
message does not originate from the engine - it originates from script.

At the moment there are the following ways 'messages' get dispatched:

     direct call (e.g. doMyHandler tParam1 in script).
     send / call / dispatch
     getProp / setProp handlers (invoked via 'the prop of obj')
     engine events (e.g. mouseUp / mouseDown)

Of these only the last two no-op if lockMessages is set. Given that
send/call/dispatch/direct calls which all originate from script ignore
lock messages, perhaps getprop / setprop handler invocation should too?

..If it can be agreed that setProp/getProp handlers are in fact *not*
engine messages (and are more like send / call / dispatch / direct
calls) then they should ignore the setting of lockMessages thus solving
the issue without any need to introduce new types of handlers, or
special cases.

The argument for setProp/getProp messages not being considered to be
engine messages is pretty simple - the only way they are ever invoked is
by an explicit line in script:

     get the myCustomProp of <object>

And it is hard to see why that should be treated differently from:

     dispatch function "getMyCustomProp" to <object>

REQUEST: Would this adversely affect your scripts?
In short, Mark is suggesting that getProp and setProp are essentially
custom messages, and therefore should be redefined as such, allowing
them to work regardless of the state of lockMessages.

Personally, I agree with Mark's assessment and feel the benefits far
outweigh any possible downsides.  In fact, for my own work I can't see
any downsides at all.

However, when introducing elements that may change backward
compatibility the team is keenly interesting in soliciting feedback from
the community to make sure there aren't critical use cases that may have
been overlooked.

So please take some time to think about this proposed change, and if you
have a circumstance which would be adversely affected by the change
describe it here so it can be considered.

If the cost to developers is as low relative to the benefits as I think
they are this change would likely appear in a new build soon (perhaps
not the next one but probably not long after).  So please take a moment
to think this over, and offer your feedback here.

Thanks in advance for your participation in this process -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World