What does "stack was produced by a newer version" mean?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Nov 18 16:47:04 EST 2013

On 11/18/13 2:25 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM, J. Landman Gay
> <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:
>
>> In LiveCode 6, passwords changed. You can open older protected stacks in
>> 6.x but once they are saved in that version, they can't be opened again in
>> an earlier version of LiveCode. I was testing an old-style text-based cgi
>> on my server which put a stack in use, and I'd saved that stack in LiveCode
>> 6.1.3. The ancient engine on the server has to be version 3.5 (boy I wish
>> that would change) and it couldn't open the stack. It took me a long time
>> to remember why. I removed password protection in LC 6, opened it again
>> 5.5, and saved it there in legacy format. Then it worked.
>

> Thanks for that info Jacque. If I understand this correctly, those of us
> who write password protected plugins better not use 6.x to password protect
> them since any users with version 5.x won't be able to use them?  Was there
> any published info about the change in password protection?

I had to go looking for it, found it in the 6.0 release notes:

"Script Security changes (6.0 RC4)
We've refactored script security out of the main engine into a module in
preparation for dual licence support.
We've updated the hash used by the security module. Stacks that have
their password set in RC4 will not be unlockable in previous versions."

This apparently didn't make it into the dictionary.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com