is it safe to hardwire the "downloads" folder?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Nov 18 03:13:49 EST 2013

Hello,

I am looking for the best folder to download updates for my program on win
and mac.

Since there is no specialfolderpath for the download folder (at least I
didn't found it, even not at Kens site) I used up to now the temporary
folder, because I knew it was there. Now I wonder if it would be more state
of the art to use the download folder, but there is no specialfolderpath for
it.

Would it be safe to use specialFolderPath("home") & slash & "Downloads",
which would be e.g. on my windows machine C:\users\<user>\downloads and on
my Mac: /users/<user>/downloads? Can I rely on there is always a folder
named like that on all win and OS X systems, or should I stay with my temp
folder? Which folder do you use for downloads?

Thanks

Tiemo