IOS & Android Bug Updates

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 15 10:19:31 EST 2013

Of course it depends what your app does with the user data but neither iOS nor Android overwrite any files in the standard "documents" path on update. iOS 6 & 7 only overwrite files that you've changed on update - so application created files in other paths should also be safe. Android has been capable of doing the same since version 2.3 but it depends what the app store in question provides as an update package. Google Play sends partial app updates to all capable devices - don't know about other stores.

I know that's not a complete answer to your question but due to the nature of Android, I wouldn't like to "guarantee" any more than I've said.

Mark