Misunderstanding developer previews versus release candidates

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 7 10:25:47 EST 2013

Thanks for that background, Kevin.

It certainly does make good sense to have more than one development
track going on, and indeed it's been a great thing for all of us.

My issue wasn't with having multiple tracks, but only with the much
smaller issue of when the "DP"/"RC" label changes.

If a given build is anticipated to have a much longer cycle, it raises
the likelihood that it may still incorporate more significant changes
than one which is closer to release.

So I strongly support your team's multi-track efforts, and the effect on
quick rollout have been tremendous.

It's just helpful to communicate anticipated cycle length by sticking
with "DP" as long as possible, changing to "RC" only when it's truly a
candidate for release.

This helps devs better anticipate feature and bug-fix sequencing, and
helps avoid tester fatigue by more clearly communicating where they
should focus their efforts if they're pressed for time.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World