Misunderstanding developer previews versus release candidates

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 20:29:51 EST 2013

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>wrote:

> I really wonder if those "funny numbers", the 'dp' and 'rc' suffixes
> (beyond marking some sort of sequentiality - which seems broken re 6.1.3
> and 6.5.0) are any guide at all to such things as stability, usability and
> so on.

Looks like a fairly typical pattern.

Developer previews when new features are being added, while the features
are still experimental.  This is the notion of an "alpha" release:  it
runs, but is likely to bomb out on you, or do weird things, or set the
building on fire.  But you can see what it does.

Beta releases are feature complete/feature  locked, and the known bugs are
out, but more are expected, and they need these tested.  These are often
called Release Candidates these days.

And then there's the actual release, followed by point releases fixing
things (e.g., 6.0.x), or adding minor things (6.1.x).

I've never really understood the x.5.y releases rather than x.1.0 . . .

That said, LiveCode's releases are, quality/bug wise, more like most people
would call beta..

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462