Misunderstanding developer previews versus release candidates,> J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Nov 3 14:49:48 EST 2013

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 11/3/13 1:32 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> And any time a company finds itself with two different versions both in
>> RC at the same time, a certain cool-headed control of the process has
>> been lost and it's time to adjust expectations on at least one of those
>> tracks.
>
> How would you manage versioning in two parallel tracks then?

Just don't call them both "RC".

Reserve "RC" for things that are actually and very literally a "Release
Candidate".

Anything known to be unfit for release doesn't merit "RC".

> I figured the 6.1.x versions were bug fixes to tide us over until 6.5 is
> ready. The 6.5 release is the big one.

Excellent example:  everyone expects 6.5 to be at this time much farther
from completion than 6.1.3, suggesting that it's really a "DP", very far
indeed from being anyone's idea of a candidate for release.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems