Misunderstanding developer previews versus release candidates

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Nov 3 14:08:54 EST 2013

On 11/3/13 12:46 PM, Richmond wrote:

> Whatever, I do feel that all those funnt numbers, plus the dp and rc
> stuff is largely nonsense;

I think Bulgarian is largely nonsense too, but that's only because I
don't speak it. There really is a system to the numbering scheme.

> This is NOT an attempt by me to rubbish RunRev's numbering scheme, it is
> an attempt to get some answers as to whether they really make sense or
> are relatively random.

They're orderly and meaningful. The numbering sequence tells you the
type and scope of the release, how stable it is thought to be, and
whether it is a final, public release.

> On the Roadmap web page there is mention of nightly builds; maybe they
> exist, but, if they do, they are not accessible to those of us who have
> the time and inclination to try and crash them; which, is the whole point
> of Beta testing.

It's my understanding (which could be wrong) that nightly builds refer
to the source code, not the compiled apps. I don't think they really are
nightly but they happen more often than the ones peons like us can
access. So dig into git and compile away. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com