Unicode to Ascii Substitution

Ender Nafi Elekcioglu endernafi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 18:05:06 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

I have to sort a list of books whose names contain diacritic Latin chars like “ç", "ğ", etc.
*sort international* works only partially, I mean not for all characters
{for example, it puts “ö” after “o”, but doesn’t put “ç” after “c”}

So, I thought; I can place a hidden column into the table on-the-fly which has the book names without diacritical chars.
Here is a sample code of the iterating script:
_set the useUnicode to true
_replace numToChar(199) with numToChar(67) in tBookName
which should replace all “Ç” letters with “C” in that particular book’s name.

Except, it doesn’t :)

I’ve tried both UTF-8 table {http://www.utf8-chartable.de/unicode-utf8-table.pl}
and UTF-16 table {http://www.fileformat.info/info/charset/UTF-16/list.htm}.
I’m converting hex values of that tables to decimals, of course.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help…

Best,

~ Ender Nafi