AW: serial numbers on standalones

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 06:38:54 EDT 2013

On 26/03/13 12:30, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> I know, that it is very unpopular to supply very strict and controlled
> licence models and rely on all the nice and lovely pirates to come back to
> me, but I can't confirm at all these models in my daily business.
> Perhaps it is related to my client base, I don't know. But I made the
> experience with two different licensing models in the last 15 years in the
> same target audience (partly even with the same customers) with our
> products. One product licence was very open and was based on "fairness and
> following our licence model" with very low piracy protection, the other
> product license is tied very strict to the hardware (wich actually has some
> painful sides, but for us it's the better choice).
> After having sold one or any number of licences of product 1to a dedicated
> target group, we never have sold a second licence in that group (e.g. all
> teachers of a school). After having sold licences of product 2 we are
> constantly selling additional licences within the same target group. And no,
> it doesn't depend on the product, I know that they all are using product 1
> too. As I said, perhaps this is a special behavior of our target group
> (teachers). In the last decades I never have met people who are less aware
> of law, piracy and licensing as teachers (sorry Richmond)

Don't be sorry; I know that is a fact.

Trying to explain to a parent of twins why she should pay for 2 copies
of a student workbook, rather than just
one followed by a quick trip to the photocopy shop is an uphill, and
unproductive exercise, that only serves
to convince people I am some sort of nutcase round these parts.

Mind you, here in Bulgaria about 95% of the population are either 100%
unaware
of law, piracy and licensing, or, even if they are, couldn't care less.

I am becoming increasingly in favour of hardware tethering of software
after trying to explain
what a site licence is and ending up with zero comprehension as the
interlocutor cannot see why
they shouldn't just duplicate the individually licensed executable
across as many machines as they require.

The only problem (as was pointed out on this list) is that many machines
keep changing their Mac address
and I am unaware of any other, more permanent, hardware feature Livecode
can grab hold of.

Richmond.