iOS scroller performance

Charles Warwick charles at techstrategies.com.au
Sun Mar 24 23:12:32 EDT 2013

> All righty then. I'm wondering if I'm assuming something wrong about
> the layermode. I'm assuming that only the control that is actually
> being scrolled should have it's layermode set to scrolling. If that
> object is inside a group should the group be set to something other
> than static?

I have tested with scrolling a group that has other groups inside it.
No matter which combination of layermode settings I apply to the groups,
it still is not smooth.  I don't have problems with all scrollers
though.  The issues are mostly noticeable when there are more objects
(or the objects are more complex) inside the group that is being
scrolled.

As you have mentioned before, the native scroller just sends the
scrollerDidScroll message, and then in LiveCode you control the setting
of the hScroll/vScroll parameters of the object being scrolled
accordingly - or any other code you use to move the objects.  The
smoothness of the scroll will depend on how efficiently LiveCode handles
this code - which is very different to the native scrolling mechanisms
of iOS itself.

Regards,

Charles