Learning by... Avoiding mistakes

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 24 14:48:31 EDT 2013

Hi from Beautiful Brittany,

Cal Horner wrote :

> How many of you use programming flowcharts to prove your answer before you
> actually begin to code ?

I gave up writing flowcharts 40 years ago (it was mandatory when I was a
programmer), and I admit that a flowchart is 90 % of program development.
But flowcharts are a physical proof of program development !!

Today, I lie in bed in the small hours, and build my little LiveCode apps
in my mind.

The next day, I simply run off the code which I "designed" during the
night. Works OK for me ! My boss 40 years ago would not have accepted that.

OK - I have a few development bugs, but 50 years of programming gives you
that unique way of covering all the possible paths in an application.
(and I arrange the bottles in the door of my 'frig in alphabetical order,
from left to right).

Otherwise, computing has had little or no effect on my daily life !

Best Regards

-Francis

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !!"