[OT] Slugworth

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 12 17:30:06 EDT 2013

Richmond wrote:

> On 03/12/2013 10:09 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Richmond wrote:
>>> Why do I get the funny feeling that Ubuntu is getting a bit too big
>>> for its open source boots?
>>>
>>> http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/03/ubuntu-mir/
>>>
>>> Of course, this could be an object lesson to those who are in the
>>> process of releasing something
>>> open source as to how much they continue to exert control on the thing.
>>
>> Because the sky is falling?
>
> Not that I have noticed.
>
> But, howevermuch Ubuntu might be pushing the development envelope and
> being jolly cleveevr and innovative,
> they are also at risk of cheesing-off their installed-base.
>
> How much this actually matters to Canonical I just don't know; they make
> their revenue in a different way to the way RunRev does;
>
> they sell system support rather than a commercial variant of Ubuntu.
> However I would suppose the level of system support bought
> and paid for also depends on how many people are using Ubuntu for
> mission critical stuff.
>
> This could also happen with RunRev's Open Source fork.

I suppose anything's possible, but in a world where folks are still
blaming Canonical for Gnome.org's decision to kill Gnome2, I tend to not
get too excited about such invented controversies.

Canonical wouldn't have committed to Mir if they didn't have the
resources to complete it.

Likewise, I'm confident RunRev will choose with similar wisdom.

If along the way some folks get upset that LiveCode isn't altering all
of the company's priorities to fit their personal preferences (the #1
criticism against Ubuntu), well, we just have to accept that some
aspects of managing FOSS projects are like herding cats, and now and
then there will always be a few malcontents among those willing to roll
up their sleeves and contribute.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World