Keys of a custom property array

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 4 19:40:17 EST 2013

Monte Goulding wrote:
 > Hmm... I think your test methods might need to include loading the
 > stackfile into memory otherwise you are comparing data in memory
 > with reading data from disk...

Since it's not possible to access any part of a stack without loading it
into memory, I've only tested on stacks that are already open.

 >> If we were as casual about all optimization opportunities, we might
 >> parse text runs in fields rather than in htmlText. ;)
 >
 > I'm not being casual.. I definitely think there's good reasons to
 > optimise this... See my idea above where the custom property would be
 > just as fast as working with an array variable once in memory.

We're on the same page.  It's not an easy task, however.  I've tried my
hand at btrees once, and they're not a simple structure to work with, a
task better left for minds greater than my own (which shouldn't be hard
to find <g>).

 > Hmm.. there are many potential storage formats for an array. It would
 > be nice to have some level abstraction that allowed for extensions..
 > in open language syntax:
 >
 > encode <array> as JSON | XML | btree | ....

Gets my vote.

Will you be writing that this week? :)

--
  Richard Gaskin