[OT] "MacMini" 7-8 years later

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 04:00:05 EST 2013

On 03/03/2013 10:57 AM, Ender Nafi Elekçioğlu wrote:
> There are some pre-installed packages around;
> Gigabyte's i7 version or Velocity's simpler model.
> http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=239
>
> Not so cheap with its $600 tag, but nearly ¼th of mac mini {in size}.
> Looks promising…
>

> ~ Ender Nafi
>
> ~ ·  Keehuna Studio
> ~ ·  Sorcerers of Design

The Bulgarian site is selling the units (without RAM and storage) for
335 Bulgarian leva = 190 Euros,
which is very good indeed IFF one knows where to get one's hands on
inexpensive RAM and mSATA storage.

However, a quick look for mSATA on Amazon makes me think that 256 GB
mSATA storage will cost
about 190 Euros!!!!

However, 32 GB goes for 40 pounds = 50 Euros, and that would be quite
enough to run one's OS and one
could store data in the sort of places I do (currently in an alarming
array of external USB connected cases containing a
load of ill-assorted old PATA drives). Needless to say, my data solution
spoils the portativity aspect of the NUC.

This makes me think of cheap inkjet printers: I bought an all-in-one,
and my EFL school now spends twice
the price of the thing on ink cartridges each month.

Richmond.