Set the Finder icon of a stack?

Paul Hibbert lc at pbh.on-rev.com
Fri Mar 1 19:39:48 EST 2013

Hi all,

I wanted to set the Finder Icon of some stacks by script, I know I can do it easily in the Finder, but I wanted to automate the process within LC.

After scanning the dictionary I thought this would be easy, however, the info provided is either out of date, inaccurate or just misleading, I suspect it's just out of date.

Some quotes from the dictionary…

icon
Type: property
Syntax:
set the icon to {imageID | imageName}
Platforms: Desktop, Server, Web and Mobile
Examples:
set the icon of this stack to kStackIcon
set the icon to the myAppIcon of stack "Main Settings"
Use the icon property to change a button's appearance, or to set the icon used for a stack or application in the OS X dock.

Sadly none of this works for setting a stack icon as I would expect and I can't find a bug report on the RR QC pages, so if I'm not missing the point or  doing something completely stupid I'll post it as a bug.

Anyway, right now this is just for use on my own Mac, but I may use it in an app in the future, so next I looked for a shell script to do the same job, I thought that would be the next easiest option, but I've spent far too long now reading so much stuff from the myriad of pages returned by Google that I am so confused now and still haven't found an answer, so before spending more time trying to figure this out I thought it best to ask if anyone has a quick way to do this (from within LC)?

I have figured out how to create an icns file from a png or jpeg, but I just can't figure out how to apply it to a stack.

This should have been easy, but for some reason it's not proving to be, now it's just got me frustrated, so if I do get this to work I'll post the solution to RevOnline to save anyone else the same frustration.

TIA

Paul

Mac OS X 10.7.5 LC 5.5.4