Fwd: [FYI] Using Graphic Commands on Server

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jun 30 01:40:39 EDT 2013

stephen barncard wrote:
 > On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> Do we have the ability to export objects other than images in
 >> that build?
 >>
 >> Once we can export groups we have custom greeting cards and a
 >> whole lot more...
 >>
 > Richard,
 >
 > Help me out here - scratching my head...
 > what grouped objects would be useful on server?

Suppose for example you want to make customized greeting cards.  So you
have a selection of pictures, and let the user enter text, which will be
embedded in the image.

If you had to calculate the pixel positions for every letter and insert
them by monkeying with the imageData, it would be tedious, error-prone,
and probably look horrible.

Much simpler would be to have a script that takes the input from the
user, sets the text of a field, and exports a snapshot of a group which
contains the field and the original picture, generating a composite JPEG
which can be sent back to the browser or emailed.

There are all sorts of things we can do by combining vector objects to
create raster ouput - provided, of course, that the latest LC server now
has its image rendering sufficiently factored from the UI routines that
it's at long last possible.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems