Communicate with server using PUT

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jun 26 22:45:20 EDT 2013

On 6/26/13 9:09 PM, Peter W A Wood wrote:
> Jacque
>
> On 27 Jun 2013, at 09:33, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> That's how I first started, using "put", but I think I had the
content wrong. What goes into "theData"? In this case, the parameter
values are the data. Should I just do "put empty into url http://blah blah"?

> I didn't think that the HTTP specification allowed for query strings
> with the POST or PUT methods. If they do, it is most unusual. Have
> you tried putting the query string (without the ?) into theData and
> removing it from the url?

A browser can send http URLs with query strings, and I think that's a
PUT. When using POST we format the content as query strings too, and I
have that working. But I wondered the same thing about PUT, so I was
originally putting the values into theData. That didn't work so I tried
it Trevor's way. I get errors in either case. The URL does exist, Rails
can PUT to it and get data back, so I'm not sure about the 404 error.
Error 401 is a bad format error.

So far, I've tried:

put "value1=one&value2=two" into tData
put tData into url "http://domain.com/page.xxx
   -> result: Error 401
   -> urlResponse: empty

put "test" into url "http://domain.com/page.xxx?value1=one&value2=two"
(also tried putting empty into the same URL)
   -> result: Error 401
   -> urlResponse: empty

get url "http://domain.com/page.xxx?value1=one&value2=two"
   -> "it": Error 404

There may be something wrong with my actual parameters. Some of them are
bracketed like this:

thing[id]=1234&thing[name]=Sally

But it seems like that shouldn't matter.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com